Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Minimap

Greetings,

Today I completed the minimap. Its a perfect example of the maths we've learned since the start of the year. In order to get it running, I had to cull out all the points on the screen that shouldn't be shown, then I had to convert a 3d point in space into a 2d point in space and rotate it so that it shows the player's perspective. Finally, I had to move that point from the origin, out to where the minimap is shown on screen...

Trying to visualize it all at once gave me one giant headache, which is why I used pseudocode. Pseudocode is like a recipe for baking code, it details the step by step instructions for making a piece of code, and it's a quick and easy way to overcome a problem that's giving you hardship. By using pseudocode, I managed to create a near-perfect minimap, the first time it was run.

No comments:

Post a Comment